This thread is for everything MALI!!
* FIFA Trigramme: MLI
* Country: Mali
* Country (official name): Republique de Mali
* Continent: Africa
* Capital: Bamako
* Major cities: Ségou, Mopti, Sikasso, Kayes, Gao, Tombouctou
* Currency: CFA franc
* Official languages: French
* Motto: One people, one goal, one faith.
* Surface area: 1,240,000 km²
* Highest point: Hombori Tondo 1,155 m.
* Neighbouring countries: Mauritania, Algeria, Burkina Faso, Niger, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea, Senegal
* Neighbouring seas and oceans: None
* Population (in millions): 11.63
* GDP per inhabitant (in US dollars): 860
* Density (inhabitants per km2): 9.38
* Average age (in years): 16.3
* Life expectancy at birth (in years): 45.43
WC participations: None
WC honours: None
Continental Titles: Copa Amilcar Cabral (1989, 1997)
Mali entered the 1966, 1994, and 1998 tournaments but withdrew on all three occasions, taking to the world stage for the first time in 2002.
It was to be a brief appearance, however, as the side fell 3-0 in the first leg against Libya. Mali battled bravely in the second leg and exited the contest with heads held high after a 3-1 victory.
Mali reached the 1965 African Games Final against Congo, but the score remained goalless after two periods of extra-time and there was no provision for a penalty shoot-out. Mali's opponents were awarded the title for winning more corners. Mali ran up 2-1 and 2-0 victories over Guinea-Bissau to claim a place in the 2006 FIFA World Cup African qualifying group stage.